Noele McClelland is a highly-experienced employment lawyer who advises public and private sector clients on all aspects of employment law and HR practice, in which she specialised in 2001.
Noele has been involved in a number of high-profile executive disputes and also acts for a number of SMEs – working closely with their directors as a trusted advisor to support them with their employment law needs.
She is listed in Chambers’ Guide to the Legal Profession as one of Scotland’s leading employment solicitors.
Noele ran Club members and guests through the key organisational processes which are regulated by employment law, including:
- Recruitment best practice – e.g. avoiding publishing job adverts which discriminate against some possible applicants
- The Right to Work in the UK – Thorntons has seen an increase in enquiries about this across all sectorsas a result of Brexit
- Working Time Regulations
- The National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage – rates increased on April 1
- Auto-enrolment pensions – which people working with your business have to be ‘auto-enrolled’
- ‘Protected conversations’ and procedures for termination of employment – ensuring the way in which you go about having someone leave your organisation won’t result in a tribunal award against your firm
Noele also answered questions on the crucial issues in Zero Hours Contracts, differences in how HRMC sees employment status versus employment law and record-keeping to ensure successful defence of hiring decisions.
For information on Thorntons’ employment law services, go to https://www.thorntons-law.co.uk/for-your-business/employment-law