INTERNSHIP VACANCY – Marketing Communications Intern
St Andrews Business Club is looking to appoint a new Marketing Communications Intern.
While this is not a paid position, any out-of-pocket expenses incurred on Club duties will be reimbursed and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to enjoy the following benefits:
- Training from experienced professionals, mainly Alan S. Morrison, President – https://www.linkedin.com/in/alansmorrison/
- Practical experience of real-life marketing communications with measurable results to add to your CV
- LinkedIn Recommendations from Committee members – https://standrewsbusinessclub.co.uk/about-us/committee/ – if overall job performance has met an agreed standard
- Introductions to useful career contacts and potential employers if overall job performance has met an agreed standard
- Opportunity to network and make useful career and personal connections at Club events, free of charge
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Create Facebook Event for each Club event (using approved text and photos supplied by main Comms person/Event speaker contact) – about 10 minutes per event before start of season, which runs September to June.
Some already created will require updating once details decided. Picture will be supplied at right spec to fit perfectly. Intern could create in photo editing software if they’d prefer to have that learning experience.
– Schedule Facebook Business page posts to promote each event – 20 minutes every 3-4 weeks through the season.
– Schedule daily Facebook posts once a week – 1.5 hours per week. Involves curating posts by Club members and speakers as well as creating a weekly #MemberMonday post. Links can be supplied. Tuition and content strategy will be supplied. Opportunity for intern to devise creative original content that drives more engagement.
– Optional – ‘Social listening’ – checking Facebook notifications daily for any comments to the page which require a reply and responding accordingly or flag to Club Comms person. 10 minutes maximum per day.
– Optional – Creating and adding content to a Facebook Album for each event – uploading images (supplied unless intern wishes to learn event photography too) as well as linking it to the event report on the Club website. 30 minutes per event.
– Schedule tweets in Hootsuite – https://hootsuite.com – to promote each event using Eventbrite link and photos supplied by main Comms person/Event speaker contact. Intern will create their own free Hootsuite account and relevant permissions will be granted to schedule Club tweets. Training will be provided. 30 minutes per event, every 3-4 weeks during the season.
– Scheduling two tweets to share the link to the Facebook Album and 4 of the photos from it after each event, which finish 9am, 2pm, and 7.30pm. 15 minutes per event every two weeks during the season.
– Schedule a weekly #MemberMonday post – best done a month at a time – 10 minutes for each as involves taking a screengrab of their website and using that as the photo. Also searching for their social accounts to tag – so they get a notification and share it. 4 a month, year-round. Intern would be requested but not required to do this during their holidays.
– Optional – Retweet Members tweets and ones by Local and Fife groups we have friendly links with and have created Twitter Lists for – once a day, 1pm for 10 minutes [N.B. Timing important for maximising views].
– Optional – ‘Social listening’ – checking Twitter notifications daily for any comments which require a reply and responding accordingly or flagging to Club Comms person. Best done in Tweetdeck via web browser (free). Expert tuition on its use will be provided. 10 minutes maximum per day.
- Editing content on Club’s WordPress site – training will be provided. Maximum of an hour every two weeks.
Attending Committee meetings – one every 2 months in the evening 5.30-7pm.
DESIRED MARKETING TASKS
- Eventbrite – event creation & management. Training and content will be provided – 30 min per event listing twice in season. 10-12 events per season is target.
- MailChimp – marketing email creation & scheduling – two per event during season. Training and content will be provided.
- Optional – PR – news copywriting, researching using Cision media database, media-spec picture formatting, pitching & coverage checking training for PR undertaken every 2 weeks during season. Scope and time could be agreed with successful candidate.
- Project – to increase new memberships and membership renewals – time could be agreed with successful candidate.
- Attending Club events – to assist with running of each event – roughly one per month. See schedule at https://standrewsbusinessclub.co.uk/events-st-andrews-business-club/
- Interest in marketing communications, ideally targeting a career involving or related to this.
- Facebook – must have own account – Admin permissions for Club page will be granted. No prior knowledge or experience of using a Facebook Business page required – training will be provided, attitude more important.
- Twitter – some prior experience would be useful, but training will be provided
- LinkedIn – must have a profile on this platform
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Must have access to image editing software
- Must be able to read and edit documents in Microsoft Word
- Should be able to access Dropbox for sharing of documents and files.
- Must be professional and flexible in way tasks are completed and time is managed
- Desire to learn and be guided by experienced professionals essential
See above, but once season launched total typically at least two hours every two weeks. Actual weekly hours will depend on how much successful candidate wants to learn and take responsibility for.
Will be more during period building up to season launch, but hours for that can be agreed with successful candidate.
START DATE & LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP
The start date and length of the internship will be agreed with the successful candidate.
The intern will be supervised and trained directly by the Committee member with primary responsibility for Club communications (currently the Vice-President, Alan S. Morrison) but also by other members of the Committee when attending events and Committee meetings.
HOW TO APPLY
Application should be made by email to email@example.com with:
- Subject Line “Marketing Communications Intern Application”
- CV attached
- Body text of email describing why candidate is applying and why they would be suitable for the role.
A shortlist of candidates will be selected for brief interview in St Andrews w/b 28/1/19.
CLOSING DATE: Sunday 13/1/19, 23:59
QUERIES: Any queries about this role should be emailed to the President, Alan S. Morrison, on firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to know more about what this internship is like? Here’s a blog by our first Marketing Communications Intern, Comora Love-Mitchell.