Marketing Communications Internship
Marketing Communications Internship
St Andrews Business Club is looking to appoint someone as a Marketing Communications Intern.
While this is not a paid position, any out-of-pocket expenses incurred on Club duties will be reimbursed and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to enjoy the following benefits:
- Training from experienced professionals, mainly Alan S. Morrison, Vice-President – https://www.linkedin.com/in/alansmorrison/
- Practical experience of real-life marketing communications with measurable results to add to your CV
- LinkedIn Recommendations from Committee members – https://standrewsbusinessclub.co.uk/about-us/committee/ – if overall job performance has met an agreed standard
- Introductions to useful career contacts and potential employers if overall job performance has met an agreed standard
- Opportunity to network and make useful career and personal connections at Club events
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Create Facebook Event for each Club event – about 10 minutes per event before start of season, which runs September to June.
– Schedule 3-4 Facebook Business page posts to promote each event – 20 minutes every 2 weeks through the season.
– Schedule daily Facebook posts once a week – 1.5 hours per week. Tuition and content strategy will be supplied. Opportunity for intern to devise creative original content that drives more engagement.
– Optional – ‘Social listening’ – checking Facebook notifications daily for any comments to the page which require a reply and responding accordingly or flag to Club Comms person. 10 minutes maximum per day.
– Optional – Creating and adding content to a Facebook Album for each event – 30 minutes per event.
– Schedule 15 tweets in Hootsuite – https://hootsuite.com – to promote each event. Training will be provided. 30 minutes per event, every two weeks during the season.
– Scheduling two tweets to share the link to the Facebook Album and 4 of the photos from it after each event – 15 minutes per event every two weeks during the season.
– Schedule a weekly #MemberMonday post – 10 minutes for each. 4 a month, year-round. Intern would not be required to do this during their holidays unless they wish to maximise their experience opportunity.
– Optional – Retweet Members tweets and ones by Local and Fife groups we have friendly links with – once a day, 1pm for 10 minutes [N.B. Timing important for maximising views].
– Optional – ‘Social listening’ – checking Twitter notifications daily for any comments which require a reply and responding accordingly or flagging to Club Comms person. 10 minutes maximum per day.
- One-off project – writing page Titles and Meta descriptions for Club website – 2 days at most..
- Editing content on Club’s WordPress site – training will be provided. Maximum of an hour every two weeks.
Attending Committee meetings – one every 2 months. Next one 29/11/17, 5.30pm.
DESIRED MARKETING TASKS
- Eventbrite – event creation & management. Training and content will be provided – 30 min per event listing twice in season. 19 events this season.
- MailChimp – marketing email creation & scheduling – 1 hour every 2 weeks during season. Training and content will be provided.
- Optional – PR – news copywriting, researching using Cision media database, media-spec picture formatting, pitching & coverage checking training for PR undertaken every 2 weeks during season. Scope and time could be agreed with successful candidate.
- Project – to increase new memberships and membership renewals – time could be agreed with successful candidate.
Attending Club events – to assist with running of each event – 2 per month. See schedule at https://standrewsbusinessclub.co.uk/events-st-andrews-business-club/
- Interest in marketing communications, ideally targeting a career involving or related to this.
- Facebook – must have own account. No prior knowledge or experience of using a Facebook Business page required – training will be provided, attitude more important.
- Twitter – some prior experience would be useful, but training will be provided
- Knowledge of or ability to research how web page Titles and Meta descriptions affect site SEO
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Candidate should ideally have access to image editing software
- Must be able to read and edit documents in Microsoft Word
- Should be able to access Dropbox for sharing of documents and files.
- Must be professional and flexible in way tasks are completed and time is managed
- Desire to learn and be guided by experienced professionals essential
For more details of the above, download the full position specification.
See above, but once season launched total typically at least two hours every two weeks. Actual weekly hours will depend on how much successful candidate wants to learn and take responsibility for.
Will be more during period building up to season launch, but hours for that can be agreed with successful candidate.
START DATE & LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP
The start date and length of the internship will be agreed with the successful candidate.
The intern will be supervised and trained directly by the Committee member with primary responsibility for Club communications (currently the Vice-President, Alan S. Morrison) but also by other members of the Committee when attending events and Committee meetings.
HOW TO APPLY
Application should be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Subject Line “Marketing Communications Intern Application”
- CV attached
- Body text of email describing why candidate is applying and why they would be suitable for the role.
A shortlist of candidates will be selected for brief interview in St Andrews on 23/11/17.